The mystery tour this year ended in Roscommon Town and as usual no one new the ultimate destination. Assembling at St Ita’s Special School on the morning of the run everyone was anticipating a good run.
Drogheda Slane Navan Athboy Mullingar
- Road to Slane will get your tires well scrubbed in.
- Navan to Athboy watch out for the bog road and the bumps. They can be very harsh and you will leave the saddle and start impersonating a low flying satellite.
- Athboy to Delvin is a Yahoo road
- Delvin to Mullingar is more of the same with some very tight corners
Mullingar, Tyrrellspass Kilbeggan Tullamore Kinnitty
- Once out of greater Mullingar the road is tight and twisty for about 10 miles
- Don’t go onto the motorway, take the old Galway road through Tyrellspass and Kilbeggan.
- Kilbeggan to Tullamore is a cruising road
- No need to go into Tullamore, take the ring road around the town.
- Get petrol if you need it in Tullamore as there is no petrol station in Kinnitty.
- The N421 to Kilbeggan has some bumps so watch out for the launching pads that could put you in orbit.
Kinnity Birr Roscrea Monegall
- In Birr take the N52 for Nenagh & Roscrea.
- The road to Roscrea is a real cruising road. Keep to the speed limit and enjoy the ride.
- Go through Roscrea town and take the old road South.
- Moneygall is the where Barak Obama has a few distant relations. Olley Hayes Bar is where he had a pint of the black stuff. Its a good place of lunch and take a photo with the life size caricature of the President of the United States of America.
Moneygall, Borrisokane Portumna Loughrea Athenry
- Monegall to Borrisokane is a tight road but enjoyable.
- Borrisokane village there is petrol pump at the junction. Keep right and then straight through the village to Portumna.
- Portumna the junction is past the church take a right and you are on one of the best roads in the west of Ireland. Nice long sweeping bends.
- Meet the the old Galway Dublin road and turn left for Loughrea.
- Dont go into the town of Loughrea and at the third roundabout take the R349 signpost Athenry.
- This is 10 miles of tight country road.
- Check point is at the Topaz petrol station on the way into the town.
Athenry Roscommon N63
You have a choice here.
If you want more twisties can go cross country.Take the R347 to cross roads and take a right on the R339 through Menlough, Glentane
At Castleblakeney thake the R359 and the the R358 to Mountbellew bridge.
Alternatively if you are getting a bit tired.you can take the N63.
Its up to you.
Nice cruising road to finish though.
The Run of the Country ended in Hannon’s Hotel. This is a family run hotel. They looked after the riders very well. We had a lovely evening. Paul Healy on his Africa twin suffered from dirty petrol and had an dreadful time tryng to get the bike running properly. Jimmy Kennedy’s Pan European started to give trouble too with the rectifier deciding to melt during the night creating more problems for the run home on Sunday morning. All in all it was a terrific run and every one had a great time.